Currently there are more than 304 million active monthly users on Twitter. You’re probably one of them. But, are you using Twitter correctly? Are you leveraging it in the best way possible for your business?
We’re here to help with five tips for Twitter marketing strategy success. Whether you’re a Twitter newbie or just looking for some new ideas, you’ll find them here.
Tip #1: Design a Great Profile
Your profile is a great first look for potential followers. Be sure your profile is completed before you start searching for followers.
- For your profile photo, we recommend using your logo. The size should be 400×400 pixels. Take the time to make sure your profile photo renders well.
- For your background header – this is the large photo at the top of your page. The size is 1500×500 pixels. This picture is incredibly important for your brand recognition. A good rule of thumb is to use the same picture here that you use on your other social media platforms.
- Pin your best content to promote conversations. This tweet is the first message someone sees when visiting your Twitter page on the web. The pinned tweet is a great way to call attention to your best, freshest or most important content.
Tip #2: Define Your Audience
If you’re just starting out, your first task is building a following. If you’ve been at Twitter for a while, how big is your audience? Is anyone retweeting you?
Your reach will be larger the more followers you have and the more folks who retweet you. More followers means ready-made brand ambassadors.
Here’s how to grow your follower base and increase your engagement:
- Promote your Twitter business page on your website and other social media profiles. Include it in your email marketing.
- Share content that matters. Make it intriguing enough to share.
- Use popular hashtags. Research the hashtags before using then.
- Retweet your followers.
Tip #3: Tweet the Right Way
Certain tweets generate more engagement than others. Here are a few tips for making sure you tweet the best way for maximum involvement.
- Use images in your tweets. When businesses use images in their tweets, the tweets are 34% more likely to get retweeted than ones with no image.
- For years people have thought the best place for the URL was at the end of the tweet. Put yours in the middle of the tweet and see if it increases engagement. Tweets with the URL in the middle are 26% more likely to get retweeted than those with URLs at the beginning or end.
- Use Bitly to shorten your URL.
- Use hashtags in your tweets. They’re more likely to get retweeted.
- Keep it simple. One hashtag per tweet is recommended.
- Share great content. When people decide whether or not to follow you, they’ll take a look at the first page of your tweets. Make sure there’s great content and not just a great sales pitch.
Tip #4: Tweet Consistently
The key to your Twitter marketing strategy and your Twitter growth is consistent tweeting. People are on Twitter 24/7, but your Tweet only has about a 20 minute lifespan. That means you’ve got to do a lot of tweeting!
Most social media experts recommend you tweet following the 80/20 rule. That means 80% of your content should be engaging, while the other 20% can be branding and promotion.
Keeping these statistics in a mind, you need to tweet at least 10-12 times a day to catch people. To manage this much tweeting, you’ll need a strategy.
- Use content from your blog. You can link to it with different subject lines several times over a week.
- Repurpose content, but be sure to space it a different times and on different days.
- Curate content from others.
- Research the best times to tweet for your followers.
Tip #5: Dive Into Twitter Ads
You can take your business to the next level with Twitter ads. You can target followers to build your base. You can create ads to target more website traffic. You can target clicks and apps, and you can even collect emails through a leads generation campaign.
For Twitter marketing strategy success, you want to start with a plan. Conversations on Twitter are similar to the face-to-face talks you have with customers every day.
Sit down and write a tweeting plan and strategy. If it’s easier, start with one week at a time. As you become more adept, you can schedule out several weeks at a time.
Be sure and listen and observe. Check out what your competitors are doing and evaluate whether it works. Use the 80/20 principle and make sure your brand voice is consistent. Test, track and learn – see what type of tweeting strategy works for your business and what doesn’t.
Does this all sound great but overwhelming and time-consuming? Are you struggling to stay active on Twitter already? Wondering how you’ll find time to tweet 10-12 times per day? Learn more about our services and how we can help you now.
Images: Andrew Mager